Pages

Saturday 14 August 2010

don't get carried away

Ok, so this is something that has been in my head for a while now.  I began this blog thinking of all things pretty and positive.   But you know what? I think sometimes it's alright to offload a little gripe every now and then.

I am doing this in the confidence that some brides out there will know where I'm coming from.

"Don't get carried away". The single most annoying statement that is made by people who ask you about your wedding plans.  I have spoken to a few brides about this.  It seems to be a pretty common acceptance that you will encounter these people at some stage in your planning.

First of all, my wedding is hardly Jordan-esque.  Extravagance is not a word I would use to describe it.  It's just personalised and fun.  I think some people become quite nervous about unusual ideas and quirky details.  As if deviating from the traditional wedding means you must be locking yourself in a room somewhere, constantly obsessing over wedding plans like some kind of mad scientist trying to take over the world.  Seriously people, we brides have lives also.

Secondly, I don't know if you notice, but it's generally those who aren't engaged that poison your fun with these comments. How can you pass judgement on someone else's experience and decide you must 'reign them in' if you have no idea what it is like to be planning a wedding? These people tend to get in a state trying to decide what to wear and where to go on a Saturday night.  Try planning the biggest party of your life.

Which brings me to my last point. That's what it is... a party. The biggest, bestest party you could ever throw.  So why the hell shouldn't I get "carried away"? I enjoy the planning.  I enjoy the decision making.  I enjoy talking to like minded people about wedding-y stuff.  I enjoy pouring over blogs and websites that share new ideas and pretty details.  So I will continue to plan this party, with my head in the clouds and loving every minute of it. 

 After all, I will only ever have this one chance to get completely carried away.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for writing what is exactly in my head right now!

    Brilliant post!

    xx

    ReplyDelete

talk to me... it makes me smile