Pages

Thursday 5 August 2010

the falling garden


You know when sometimes you stumble across an image that is so breathtakingly gorgeous that it makes you want to cry a little bit?

Well, this is it.






The Falling Garden by Gerda Steiner & Jorg Lenzlinger. This stunning installation is made yet even more serene by the fact that it is suspended from the ceiling of a 16th century church in Venice.  When I first saw this image all I could do was long to be lying on that white, bed-like platform looking up at the ethereal wonderland above.





Upon further reading into the inspiration behind this piece, I discovered that the whole thing is made from recycled goods and found objects.  Now that still sounds oh so romantic until you actually break it down. Yeah that's right... everything from orange peels to rubber snakes.




I questioned my sanity for a minute. How can something that icky be transformed into something so hypnotisingly gorgeous?  The answer ladies is this ... it's suspended. We girlies have a fascination with all things floaty.  Whether its a hot air balloon in the sky, a tea light suspended from a tree or a vintage crystal chandelier. We will crane our necks and oogle dreamily at anything that appears to be hanging from the heavens.




This got me to thinking, (as everything does) about my wedding. The venue we have chosen for our reception, The Caves is essentially a bit stone vault.  My intention is to work with the charm of this venue and make it into an ethereal wonderland.  What better way to achieve this than suspending various objects from the thriple height ceilings. Everything from paper lanterns to origami and fairy lights.  So my guests can take a break from their roast garlic and tomato soup to ponder the magical playground hanging high above their heads.


No comments:

Post a Comment

talk to me... it makes me smile